Re: Memory leaks

On 02/10/2011 12:19 AM, Costin Chirvasuta wrote:
I find not cleaning up explicitly quite ugly. I shudder at the thought
and maybe I'm not the only one. Not only that, but cleaning up
explicitly is obviously useful for some people.

I guess we're at an impasse then.  The discussion has now moved from the
definition of "leak" to some personal idea of what "beauty" is.  I know
that the standard glibc library does static allocations on program load
that I don't free, and don't think that glibc frees them either.  That
in no way impacts the "beauty" or elegance of my code.

Back to the original discussion, I'm sure if someone wanted to make some
patches to make GTK+ pure reentrant, actual GTK+ developers would
probably take a look, and benchmarks could be made.  There are a few
corner cases where a reentrant GTK would be very useful, such as in a
plugin system, or maybe integration with other toolkits like Qt.  Or it
might turn out the most elegant solution is to use separate processes
and bridge them using some form of IPC and shared memory.