Re: Memory leaks

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Carlos Pereira wrote:

P.S I will say though that in all my life I don't think I've ever written a program>where it was either
impractical (or too difficult) to fix its leaks.  IMHO ignoring>leaks is a bad habit to get into and one
whose consequences usually get worse over time.

I could not agree more with this. It seems obvious to me that the GTK
team should write code without mem leaks. It's a sad day we even need to
argue this. There is no such a thing as good and bad mem leaks, in the
long-term they are all plain wrong and promoting buggy code.

You're missing Tor's point. Yes, all memory leaks are bad, but
most (all?) of the instances of not-explicitly-released memory
in the GTK stack are _not_ leaks. If you still have a pointer to
it, it ain't a leak, even if a dumb debugger says so.

Allin Cottrell