Re: Memory leaks

On 9 Feb 2011, at 17:01, James Morris wrote:

Not only do we have to write our own code, we have to put work into
making other peoples code ignore the errors in other peoples code so
we can see the errors in our own code. It's a bloody outrage!

I think I'd agree with you if I'd ever used Valgrind but at least having the option of a suppressions file is
better than not having it (as seems to be the case with VC++).  It's a double edged sword of course because
there's a danger that Valgrind's ability to work with a suppressions file might be seen by those other
programmers as carte blanche for them to delay fixing their memory leaks or even not to bother fixing them at
all, or (as we have here) to reclassify them as not being "genuine" leaks.

Which brings us neatly back to where we all started off.....

John
P.S I will say though that in all my life I don't think I've ever written a program where it was either
impractical (or too difficult) to fix its leaks.  IMHO ignoring leaks is a bad habit to get into and one
whose consequences usually get worse over time.