Re: Memory leaks

On 10/02/11 19:50, Costin Chirvasuta wrote:

I'm sorry, I now understand what you mean. If what you say is true
(which I don't doubt) it's a really boneheaded mechanism in my
opinion. Defragmenting memory in realtime is a performance nightmare.
But that's irrelevant. Your point is well taken.

To describe the standard mechanism of garbage collection as a boneheaded idea shows a total lack of awareness of first year Computer Science course principles. That garbage collection has been refined and highly optimised over the years is true; however it is a very necessary thing with modern compiler technology. Less so in the days of Cobol

Liam - To have a problem with freeing up memory prior to exiting suggests that either you have a memory leak, or a bad design (or both). It might be your development environment.

I once came across a compiler for a virtual memory minicomputer that implemented free() as a empty procedure. It allowed the system to keep allocating ram until the disc was full of swapped pages. My company lost a benchmark because it could not run the program. Our competitor run it but very slowly. The slights of hand, by definition are unseen. The compiler time to market was faster, and I never heard that the issue became public knowledge, or was fixed.

Rgds Bill