Re: libglade frustration

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 13:28 -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
[...]
So you want to know how to use it and you intentionally
avoid one of the most efficient ways to learn it.  Well, if
it works for you...

Well, I didn't go tearing-down the engine and transmission in my car,
but I still learned how to drive it :)

I agree that if one really, Really, REALLY wants to know not just how
something works, but why it works that way, source code is best.  Still,
that hasn't meant that I was or continue to be able to just tell people
asking about netperf to read the source, I still either explain things
to them, or make sure I ammend the manual.

I'm going to have to bite my tongue soon and just drop this, only
I'm getting the impression that your still arguing that people
should remain too lazy to consult the tarball, which is fine,
I'm just going to try - again - to change your mind.

So lets continue to speak in metaphores since it happens to suit
me today. Lets say that you downloaded your new car from your local
dealership, and still have a hard time figuring out how to use
this new car, maybe the dealership wasnt responsable enough to
provide you with the box & manual that the manifacturer distributed
with the new car, maybe the dealership decided that that part
of the car was irrelevent. Even if the box didnt come with a complete
set of blueprints on how the car was made, it might come with a
manual and/or a set of tips, those tips might be usefull to you
even if the dealership didnt think so.

The tarball is the complete package that comes from the manifacturer,
if the manifacturer wanted you to have something that was just a side
dish to the main meal (like an example program), then look in the
package for additional information, thats where it comes from, thats
where to look for.

Ammending the documentation is one thing, people actually pulling
the documentation out the box and reading it is another thing
entirely.

Cheers,
                  -Tristan