Re: Still not understanding pixmaps vs RGBs

Taura Milana wrote:

OK, but then we're back to the old problem. Given that I KNOW my sever doesn't support DGA or Xv, how is it that other programs can update the screen contents much faster than when I do it? :)

They might only be updating a part of it, for example xscreensaver's
modules only updates the changed rectangle of the screen.

No, xine for instance is updating the entire screen, significantly faster than I can do it using gdk. I think this is due to the asynchronous nature of the screen updates.

Perhaps if you went into further detail about what you want to
accomplish I might be able to help you better?

At its simplest, I have some image data in a compressed format (it doesn't matter what it is). The size of this image is arbitrary. I want to store that image data internally in RGB format and postprocess it. Then I want to get it onto the screen at exactly screen size, or some user-selected divisor thereof.

--
-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work     http://www.digi-frame.com/