Re: Still not understanding pixmaps vs RGBs

Hi Taura (And thanks for all the help so far).

* Decimate or expand content, using my own hand-rolled code, into a second RGB buffer that is screen-sized. * Draw the RGB buffer into a darea that covers the whole screen (this step is slow).

I don't think you would need RGB buffers *AND* GdkPixmaps togeather.
You can do all the drawing on client side to yer RGB buffer then send
it to the X server to a GdkWindow and yer all done.

OK, but then we're back to the old problem. Given that I KNOW my sever doesn't support DGA or Xv, how is it that other programs can update the screen contents much faster than when I do it? :)

Unfortunatly no, I worked with Xlib for 5 years and there is no
such function. If you want to do resizing yer going to have to use
RDK RGB buffers soly and `blit' each pixel using your own zooming
code.

My resizing code is inherited from the previous version of my embedded system. I wrote that code in C initially, then went through and hand-optimized it in assembler. The processor we used in that old project is a PA-RISC Level 1 core with some proprietary SIMD extensions. My extensions - the actual shipped code - use those extensions, and the C version is comparatively slow (and also buggy, and hard to understand because it has to take care of a bunch of special cases). After I got the asm version working, I only kept updating that version, not the C version.

I was hoping that some guru had written better code I could use.

One of the other reasons I wanted to move to pixmaps is that they are

Move? You said resize?

Yes, I meant I wanted to shift my program to operating primarily out of pixmaps.

--
-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work     http://www.digi-frame.com/