Re: Still not understanding pixmaps vs RGBs

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe larwe com> writes:
I was hoping that some guru had written better code I could use.

The gdk-pixbuf library contains nice scaling code that even uses mmx
asm for speed on Intel. But it only does RGB format.

Yes, I meant I wanted to shift my program to operating primarily out
of pixmaps.

If your program needs to _read_ pixel values, as you need to do when
scaling, then using pixmaps will mean you first suck the pixels back
off the server as a GdkImage, then copy them back to the server into
the pixmap. Not fast. Not prohibitively slow on typical desktop
hardware, either, but on an embedded system it might be.

Havoc