Re: dynamic containers issue

Hi,

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Juan A. Suarez Romero
<jasuarez igalia com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 15:40 +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>
> Other part was due to spec itself, like not providing page-browsing.

 Sure but since we added that and I have never objected on it (nor did
Lennart), I don't think we need to discuss that problem.

> Now, it is there, but still I need to cope with the non-paging browsing.
> Which fits nice for static content, but not so nice for content like
> Youtube

  Since non-paged browsing is a specific form of paged-browsing, I
don't see why it should be a problem for you.The client can ask for
ALL children of a container even if you only provide paged-browsing
APIs so you'll have to handle that anyways.

>. And of course, with the ItemCount and ContainerCount.

  Dude, they are optional for a few weeks now and I didn't say we
should make them mandatory in this discussion, we are only talking of
ChildCount property now.

>> 1. Know the number of children (no need to know how many of them are
>> containers and how many items anymore).
>>
>> 2. Notify any changes in the container.
>>
>>    If some source doesn't give your means to implement this easily,
>> its really a bug in the APIs provided by those sources. Since you have
>> no way to making them change their APIs (at least not anytime soon),
>> the solution is to simulate the required behavior by some clever
>> tricks in your middle-ware, like the one I mentioned in the previous
>> emails.
>
> So, you're meaning that not having a ItemCount and ContainerCount in
> youtube, for instance, is a bug in the service, right? Well, I'm afraid
> most of web services have that bug :)

  No I mean providing means to figure out 'ChildCount'. Tracker guys
have thought of  that (you can request the count of results of a
query) and UPnP has thought of that so its really a bug in the
services, doesn't matter if  all such services do not provide such
APIs.

> And yes, what I'm trying to do is fixing the "problem" in rygel-grilo.
> But of course, it has some limitations.

  Good. But if you are doing it some other way than I proposed, I
would like to know how exactly you plan to solve the incremental
browse issue I mentioned. I'll now add this "ChildCount" mandatory
prop to the spec..

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)