Re: dynamic containers issue

Hi,

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Juan A. Suarez Romero
<jasuarez igalia com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 15:40 +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>> > In the above example, I think providers should be able to notify
>> > "unknown" ItemCount/ContainerCount values.
>>
>>   How exactly does that improve anything for the example above?
>>

> As far as I understood your example, you were meaning to use
> ItemCount/ContainerCount to know if child is browsable or not, weren't
> you?
>
> If so, that means source can tell "actually I don't need how many
> children I have", which client should realize that it mean that either
> it can't be computed, or to do it requires a lot of time. So what the
> client would do is just to try browsing if he wants to do it.

1. Thats just one usecase, this could also be used for UIs to tell the
user which container has how many items. At least I would love to see
that in UIs.

2. As i said in the first email, in case of UPnP I have no means of
telling the client that container's child count is unknown. I only
have an unsigned integer.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)