Re: dynamic containers issue

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 23:27 +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> 1. UPnP specific issue: UPnP does not take into account such
> containers and whenever each container changes, it must signal that
> and the clients are supposed to update their views (if any) to the
> container. Because of this it is mandatory to provide the correct
> value for this property if/when a client asks for it.

Sorry, I don't get what the problem is, actually. What is the
relationship between ChildCount, Update signal and dynamic containers?
Could you show an example?

> 2. Generic issue: If the containers are so dynamic, how is the client
> (e.g totem) going to do incremental browsing? The current browsing API
> that we have agreed on, requires the container's children to remain
> not only the same but also in the same order unless the changes are
> explicitly signaled.

Well, "dynamic" doesn't mean that it changes very frequently. In fact,
some plugins, like Jamendo, change weekly, and others changes with more
frequency, like Youtube.

So far, I have never seen the problem you mention. In fact, it's similar
as browsing in any other online service that provides browsing through
pages. Flickr is such kind of service. And they do nothing to prevent
this problem. So I wouldn't worry about it, unless you really see this
is happening.

	J.A.