Re: How about a complete installation package?

Hi.

I'm not speaking for the Gnumeric team, but as a private user.
Your problem doesn't seem to be with the Gnumeric team, but rather
with the configuration of your distribution.

I'm not sure I can see what place (if any) Gnumeric has on a server.
If your company sets up an X server with thin clients, obviously, the
administrators of that server should install Gnumeric on it. If you
are referring to another type of server (file, mail, web), I don't
understand why you would want to install Gnumeric on it.

If you have superuser permissions to your workstation, you can easily
install Gnumeric. All Linux distributions require superuser
permissions to install packages. If you wish to compile everything
yourself (highly unrecommended) you can use tools like JHBuild.

Most distributions have a conflict resolution mechanism. I was under
the impression that KNOPPIX is a Debian based system, and so can be
easily upgradable using tools like Synaptic or apt-get. Since Gnumeric
1.8 was just released, you might have to wait a while. If your
distribution is so out of date the newest version of Gnumeric you can
get is 1.0.5, consider moving to a new distribution. Ubuntu has gotten
very good reviews.

Hope this helps,

Uri David Akavia