Re: wishlist: file export feature

Chuck Esterbrook wrote:

On Monday 24 December 2001 09:12 am, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

Chuck Esterbrook wrote:

Or even use attributes, assuming that spreadsheets will ignore
attributes they are unfamilar with (a fairly safe assumption):

... <td formula="a1+a2"> 45 </td> ...

This does _not_ work for HTML. The standards don't allow for
undefined attributes.

Did you try it?

I believe we ar etalkig about different things. I tis correct that most browsers will be happy to ignore tags and attributes that htey don't understand. In fact many are very happy to handle illegal html. They have to since many if not most are web sites contain illegal html. BUt just because browsers will handle broken html does not mean that broken html should be created. I suggest you try to submit your page to a validator, eg. validator.w3.org, and see what happens.

Andreas

This also makes sense from a developer's perspective. What programmer would write a browser that fails on an attribute or tag it hasn't seen before? And how many people would actually use it?

How many C compilers will simply ignore words theat are not in the sdandard? Just because browser are written to ignore errors...

When it comes to browsers, standards are one thing, and reality is another.

Yes and standards are what we should live up to.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/aguelzow