Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Ekiga doesn't hear my mic, but skype works fine. Ekiga was working before.

On 7/21/06, ubunt2 gmail com <ubunt2 gmail com> wrote:
I have tried running the druid many times, when I try the audio test
within the druid, but it doesn't work. I can't hear my voice when the
test is running.

This is important information.  When you report that an application
doesn't work, explain exactly what you tried and what the symptoms
are.

I have restarted the soundserver by doing:
 sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
but it doesn't seem to help.

Grrr - flipping ALSA!!

I will take your word that that is the correct command for Ubuntu
(sudo doesn't work correctly on SUSE 10 due to path issues, and the
startup scripts are different.)

Here are more suggestions :

If I recall correctly (though it is a bit off-topic for this list) it
may even be necessary to unload (rmmod) the alsa modules from the
kernel, and reinstall (modprobe) them, after using skype.  Your
alsa-utils script probably does not do this.

Suggest you see if any other mic applications work, such as arecord.

I recall someone on the list mentioning that ekiga does not work so
well if sound routers like jack, gstreamer and arts are running - so
try stopping all of them.

However it would be well worth doing some archaeology to find out what
changed when ekiga stopped working.  Did you download a new version of
ekiga, or a new kernel, or start using skype, perhaps?

David
p.s. please don't cc me - if I don't know the answer I won't reply