Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] RAM consumption

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Christophe Baegert wrote:

Anyway, I don't think 14MB is that much, gnome-terminal requires 16 MB,
gkrellm 11MB, ...

well, I tried to install Linux on a PIII 600 with 128MB for the children of my
neighbour and you can't really call that a multi-process system any more...
If you open 2 softwares, it's dead ! It worked with Win95 or RH 5.2...

Win95 is almost 10 years old. Does it work with Win XP? ;)

Kill some daemons that you're not using. Many distro's have all kinds of things running that most people won't use. And if you really want to leave lots of ram unused, don't use Gnome or KDE. I even have a machine here (that I still use) with 16mb ram, but ofcourse I don't run any fancy GUI stuff on it. It all depends on how pretty you want it to be...

But video conferencing is obviously demanding.

I'm not against the progress permitted by the use of more RAM, but IMHO it
would be great if each software could let the user choose between 2 modes, a
first one RAM-hungry but faster and a second one RAM-friendly but slower...
And that would be even better with an environnement variable RAM_FRIENDLY=1
or 0 used by all the softwares...

Are you a programmer? ;)

I understand your pain, my first system had 768kb, and now I have 512mb and it's still all used up. Some people are not paying attention to their data structures... But I don't think Gnome Meeting is one of those programs. It does video conferencing, both audio and video, quite demanding, and needs a lot of libraries. Still, being a complete program, it doesn't use more than some of my panel applets, let alone any of those 'trendy' resource-hungry higher-level programs; IMHO, Gnome Meeting is not particulary nonchalant with memory. I wonder why you pick GM over OOo or
Mozilla, for instance.