Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] additional feathres.

Le jeu, 24/06/2004 à 16:33 +0930, Malcolm Caldwell a écrit :
> But... this 'rebuilding' would only happen when I have said 'always try
> video device blah' but no device was available on gm startup.
>
> Specifically it would not happen on calls when the video device WAS
> available at startup.

It sounds hackish, really.

> > Recent versions of ohphone also work that way.
>
> Yes and no.  Yes they do the scan but they don't do it on program
> startup - they do it on call setup. Which, I admit slows things down but
> does make things a bit more plug and play.
>
> For example if I do
>  ophone -blah -blah --blahblahblah --videodevice "Philips",
> Without the Philips camera plugged in, plug it in and then say 'c foo'
> it will just work.
>
> What I suggest is:
>      1. scan and popluate the dictionary on startup.  If the camera is
>         found great
>      2. At call setup:
>               * If we know our device from 1 name great!
>               * If we don't know our device name, do a scan to see it it
>                 has become available.
>
> Now, there may be issues if someone swaps between different camera a lot
> - but I would have thought that most users would not do this.  They
> probably have one camera which is sometimes plugged in, sometimes not.

I don't know what others here think about this, but I'm not convinced.
Notice they are working on HAL for Linux, that would solve that problem
in a clean way as user programs will receive an event from a daemon when
a device is plugged in, plugged off.
//\     FOSDEM      : http://www.fosdem.org