Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] additional feathres.

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 09:56 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le mer, 23/06/2004 �1:59 +0930, Malcolm Caldwell a �it :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have two 'small' feature requests.  They come from the fact that I use
> > gm on my laptop and so the environment is different from one moment to
> > the next.
> >
> > 1.  Have an option for gatekeeper that 'always tries' the gatekeeper.
> > In this mode, while un-registered gm would
> >      A. periodically try to reconnect to the gatekeeper (without
> >         complaining if it fails)
> >      B. On outgoing calls, try to reconnect to the gatekeeper before
> >         starting the call
> > This feature is needed because a laptop is not always connected to the
> > Internet.  I often find that I have forgotten to re-register when I re-
> > connect - sometimes I don't find out for days!
> >

> That sounds hackish. I asked Craig what he is thinking about it as I
> don't have a specific advice about this. However, I don't like the idea
> of silently failing as the user wouldn't know it has failed. But I like
> the idea of periodic reregistering instead of disabling registration.
> I'm waiting for more input from Craig.
>
> > 2.  A similar option for the video device.  It would work so that if
> > video sending is enabled in gm, on call setup (incomming or outgoing) it
> > automatically scans for video devices and uses one if it finds one.
> >

> That's overhead. Scanning on some systems can lead to a delay of 2 or 3
> seconds..

Instead of 'scanning' it should be possible to say:
'try to open v4l device blah'.  When the call starts it trys to open
blah, if blah fails it falls back to picture.  So you would select the
device once, and it would remember that setting from then on.

ohphone more more like this.  You tell it the videodevice name on the
command line - it only tries to open it when it is needed.

> > This is needed because I always forget to connect my webcam, and it is
> > annoying to have to go 'preferences->video->rescan' each time.  It would
> > make gm more 'plug and play'.
> >
> > (Note that some of this can be acchieved by running a script that
> > periodacally changes gm's setting with gconftool.  But that is hacky,
> > and does not ensure that things will be changed when you try to make a
> > call.  Also, the 'cannot register' warnings are a pain!)
> >
> > This would also help when I disconnect my laptop from home and bringing
> > it to work, thus changing the IP address in less time than the
> > gatekeeper times out my previous registration.  In this case the
> > gatekeeper does not let me register as there is already someone with
> > this alias.  I would have thought that gm would unregister on shutdown?)
> >

> Yes it does, if it doesn't, then it is a bug. I will try to check here
> once I will deploy the GK/LDAP system.

OK - sometimes I see this problem, sometimes not.  I had always assumed
it was because I managed to get to work quickly!