Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] additional feathres.

Hello,

Le mer, 23/06/2004 à 11:59 +0930, Malcolm Caldwell a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I have two 'small' feature requests.  They come from the fact that I use
> gm on my laptop and so the environment is different from one moment to
> the next.
>
> 1.  Have an option for gatekeeper that 'always tries' the gatekeeper.
> In this mode, while un-registered gm would
>      A. periodically try to reconnect to the gatekeeper (without
>         complaining if it fails)
>      B. On outgoing calls, try to reconnect to the gatekeeper before
>         starting the call
> This feature is needed because a laptop is not always connected to the
> Internet.  I often find that I have forgotten to re-register when I re-
> connect - sometimes I don't find out for days!

That sounds hackish. I asked Craig what he is thinking about it as I
don't have a specific advice about this. However, I don't like the idea
of silently failing as the user wouldn't know it has failed. But I like
the idea of periodic reregistering instead of disabling registration.
I'm waiting for more input from Craig.

> 2.  A similar option for the video device.  It would work so that if
> video sending is enabled in gm, on call setup (incomming or outgoing) it
> automatically scans for video devices and uses one if it finds one.

That's overhead. Scanning on some systems can lead to a delay of 2 or 3
seconds...

> This is needed because I always forget to connect my webcam, and it is
> annoying to have to go 'preferences->video->rescan' each time.  It would
> make gm more 'plug and play'.
>
> (Note that some of this can be acchieved by running a script that
> periodacally changes gm's setting with gconftool.  But that is hacky,
> and does not ensure that things will be changed when you try to make a
> call.  Also, the 'cannot register' warnings are a pain!)
>
> This would also help when I disconnect my laptop from home and bringing
> it to work, thus changing the IP address in less time than the
> gatekeeper times out my previous registration.  In this case the
> gatekeeper does not let me register as there is already someone with
> this alias.  I would have thought that gm would unregister on shutdown?)

Yes it does, if it doesn't, then it is a bug. I will try to check here
once I will deploy the GK/LDAP system.