Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] additional feathres.

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 16:43 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Instead of 'scanning' it should be possible to say:
> > 'try to open v4l device blah'.  When the call starts it trys to open
> > blah, if blah fails it falls back to picture.  So you would select the
> > device once, and it would remember that setting from then on.
> >

> Unfortunately it is not as easy than that. The Video4Linux PWLib plugin
> contains a dictionnary associating "real name" - "driver name".
>
> You need to use the driver name to be able to open the device
> successfully, it then looks in the dictionnary to determine the real
> device name and opens it.
>
> In your case, rebuilding the dictionnary is thus needed, and rebuilding
> it requires rescanning the devices list.

>  Recent versions of ohphone also
> work that way.

But... this 'rebuilding' would only happen when I have said 'always try
video device blah' but no device was available on gm startup.

Specifically it would not happen on calls when the video device WAS
available at startup.

> Recent versions of ohphone also work that way.

Yes and no.  Yes they do the scan but they don't do it on program
startup - they do it on call setup. Which, I admit slows things down but
does make things a bit more plug and play.

For example if I do
 ophone -blah -blah --blahblahblah --videodevice "Philips",
Without the Philips camera plugged in, plug it in and then say 'c foo'
it will just work.

What I suggest is:
     1. scan and popluate the dictionary on startup.  If the camera is
        found great
     2. At call setup:
              * If we know our device from 1 name great!
              * If we don't know our device name, do a scan to see it it
                has become available.

Now, there may be issues if someone swaps between different camera a lot
- but I would have thought that most users would not do this.  They
probably have one camera which is sometimes plugged in, sometimes not.