[gnome-women] DW, GW and off-topicness (Re: DW)

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005, Erinn Clark wrote:
> Either way, it would've been totally appropriate to bring this up on
> DW's list, but the fact that you brought it up here instead -- without
> any real desire for resolution -- is what makes it insulting.

There's very much two separate potential threads here.

Thread 1: how can GNOME Women maintain a balance between not scaring off
newer, less technical potential women contributors to GNOME and keeping
the interest of more technical contributors to the project (both women
and men)? Specific examples from the experience of other groups *may* be
useful here, *especially* where they have already found a solution. (I
can think of various examples from LinuxChix that people may find
useful.) But specific is much better than general, and positive better
than negative. "Debian Women/KDE Women/LinuxChix/GNOME in general are
really bad, let's do better" is risky territory. Each of those projects
has its own context and will choose its own balance.

I expect GNOME Women to be a pretty different place from LinuxChix, but
that's because LinuxChix is a support and social group for women Linux
users and GNOME Women is (I gather) a mentoring group for potential and
existing women GNOME developers, not because either of them sucks.

Thread 2: "Debian Women has got this wrong." (Quotes because I want to
make it clear it's not my opinion.) I agree with Erinn, Thread 2 is both
off-topic and potentially damaging here, move it to Debian Women.

-Mary