Re: [gnome-women] Getting a Web Site Up & Logo Contest status

On 08/08/2005, at 11:58 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

Anyway, just an update from my front; my goal is to get a bare- bones web site up by the end of this week and to then start sending emails out. It
would be nice to send announcements to university computer science
departments. Does this seem like a good plan? I can also talk to the
Marketing team and see if they'd be cool with a spot on the gnome.org
front page to point at the GNOME Women web site sometime in the future.

Do you want help with the site?

I'm OK in basic html/css.

I'm also happy to get a translation going for the site, so I could translate text as it's created, if you like.

I think getting Gnome themselves, as well as the other womens' OSS groups, to mention us, is a good idea. :)

I've seen one or two women translators on the gnome-i18n list whom I'd like to invite here. It will be a lot easier when we have a website to which we can point.

We also need to get some helpful information up there, and start some discussions here. Maybe an IRC channel, some quick tutes to help people get started or solve common issues. These are all the things that work for Debian-Women, so I'm keen to get them started here.

One thing that doesn't work for D-W is that it has become a far too vehement site, where newbies and many women in general don't feel comfortable posting. I would really like to see this group stay low- key in that respect: yes, we can discuss technical issues and social issues affecting us, but let's give people a bit of elbow-room, be tolerant of mistakes and encourage new people.

My 5c for now (no 2c coins in Australia these days). :)