Re: Drupal as candidate to be challenged

En/na Emanuele Aina ha escrit:
> Quim Gil dubitò:
>
>> Still unconvinced by the division of contents translated/created.
>

> The idea behind leaving them separate is to avoid the proliferation of
> gnome.cl, gnomefr.org, gnome-de.org, gnome.or.kr and others (those are
> from a quick google search).
>
> Those sites ends up in $LANG.gnome.org, while keeping wgo more uniform.
>
>> What are the contents specific to Italian that won't fit in the
>> structure of gnome.org localised to Italian? -
>> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb#head-414ca48c4650bea820c5caabf3a9c7bac9fc7878
>>

> Well, we (Italian translators group) didn't make a lot of use of
> it.gnome.org entirely... :(
>
> Other groups (see above) have found something to put.
> Maybe this is a problem due to the current infrastructure: it's very
> likely that those sites are being run from enthusiastic users, not by
> the localization teams, so they were blocked by the complexity of the
> infrastructure (CVS, SSH, etc).
> With the reorganization these problem will go away, so maybe they can be
> "reabsorbed"... :)
>
>> Take the Contact page as an example. Are we going to translate literally
>> the page into Italian and then have another contact page under
>> it.gnome.org with the specific contacts for Italy? Italian speaking
>> users would prefer to have only one contact page, prioritising the
>> Italian contacts and then the general.
>>
>> Another example: if I visit http://mail.gnome.org in Italian I will
>> possibly prefer to find something like
>> http://it.gnome.org/resources/mailing-lists.php than a literal
>> translation of the English version.
>

> Those, perhaps, will be handled better by keeping all the contacts and
> mailing lists toghether, and render the pages differently by language.
>

> To me, it seems that the biggest benefit from the separation is
> organizational for the language teams, but with a little of
> infrastructure putting all togheter will not be a big problem.

Agreed. If enthusiastic users can't be converted to GNOME local groups
or localisation teams because of a technological barrier we have a deep
problem.

I have done a brief look to some of these sites. They probably don't
have any page that could not fit under a gnome.org localised page and I
bet they would like to have official recognition, some guidelines
(defined by all of us, including themselves) and a web infrastructure
they don't need to worry (much) about.

Note also that this issue affects also the English language (the
regional vs language thing). See http://www.uk.gnome.org/ (what tool are
they using?) - and it is feasible to think that other English speaking
countries would like to have some kind of local resources managed by
themselves under gnome.org

Still anyone thinks that we can manage all this without a proper CMS?

--
Quim Gil - http://desdeamericaconamor.org