Re: Drupal as candidate to be challenged

Quim Gil wrote:

I think that keeping the translated part well separated from the language specific one would make life easier for the translators.
Mixing and matching them will create confusion and many troubles...

Could you explain why? I thought translators only need to deal with the
well defined list of pages we all will decide that need to be translated
in other languages. Translators dont need to deal at all with language
specific content because there is nothing to translate there.

Usually the local group site is mantained by the same people who translate GNOME. At least for Italian this is the situation.

A good separation could be:

*.gnome.org  -> simple translation of the contents
it.gnome.org -> language specific contents (maybe translatable themselves, at least the main page in english)

gnome.org/it/volare.html and it.gnome.org/volare.html can be just the
same pages, this falls into the aesthetic factor. For consistancy we
should choose and use one.

What I meant was leaving it.gnome.org a site with contents available only in Italian and putting all the translation directly in the respective sites...

What would be the Italian equivalent of foundation.gnome.org?

Simply foundation.gnome.org with language sniffing. If one wants to be explicit this should map to foundation.gnome.org/it/index.html or foundation.gnome.org/index.it.html...

We need to be careful with the difference between locales and local
groups. In the Italian example both locale and local almost fit, but
other languages may have many local groups and also some local groups
may have many languages.

Yes, I think this is a problem, but I cannot speak for them...

There is no big problem, though. The concern is that locale speakers and
local groups have autonomy to create their own content and interactive
spaces once they have translated/localised the agreed common content.
This can be done.

What I propose is to keep this content isolated in it.gnome.org, leaving foundation.gnome.org, www.gnome.org, etc, with the common content only, obviously localized...

--
Buongiorno.