Re: Replacing Squishdot

On 27 Aug 2001 07:20:23 -0500, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2001 12:50:46 -0700, Michael R. Bernstein wrote:
> > On Sat, 2001-08-25 at 11:56, Christian Schaller wrote:
>
> >> As for flames I don't belive I have flamed either you or anyone about
> >> the technical infrastructure choices of gnome.org.
>
> > No, not you. In fact, all those people who posted 'I don't know Zope, so
> > let's just use PHP because it's better and more people know it' (and
> > probably whoever sent me anonymous flames in private), don't seem to be
> > on the list anymore.
>
> Let me just point out that this isn't really a flame, this is a valid
> stance. If you know one language/system and you don't know another, and
> this is the case for the vast majority of the people who will most
> likely be maintaining the system, then it's understandable that those
> people might want to go with something they know.
>
> Likewise, if PHP will be used for the rest of the new web site (which,
> last I checked, there was consensus for), then it seems fairly sane to
> me to try to stick to one language all over.
Well I think we should be practical about this and the fact is that even
if there has been a lot of discussion the new PHP based website is just
screenshots for now as far as I can see. So I would think that
discussing changing the brand of the tires is not very fruitfull when
the engine is still missing.

As for Gnotices, well if Michael is willing to maintain and fix the
current setup I think we should keep it, if Michael can fix the
moderation setup and get Gnotices integrated with the new Trove software
map when Steve has that ready and over time add the other features I
asked for then I think we have no reason to change to another
technology. One of the most basic rules I learned working with computer
systems the last years is the one that if it works don't fix it.
Gnotices functions today as a fairly separate part of the website so
keeping with Squishdot(Swishdot) there would not really not impact the
rest of the site much.

Tomas is still willing to set up a new PHP based system for us however,
but personally I would think that if Tomas tried getting the new site
setup working for instance that that would be a much better way to
spend our resources. (Would you be willing to try and tackle this if set
up with the right accounts and accesses?)

And that gets us back to the a core problem here, the extreme difficulty
of getting these people the accounts they need in order to successfully
complete their tasks. AFAIK Steve Fox has managed to get the right
accounts set up for himself, but he is also the only one. So if you have
a chance to get people the accounts they need Joakim, then that would be
great. I know this is a issue of trust, but I would think anyone who has
been willing to spend the last 6 months on this list with very little
progress being made and still be interested is surely not out to
sabotage us.

For instance Joshua do you have the accesses you need to set up the new
search system?

Christian