Re: Replacing Squishdot

Hi Michael,
I am aware of the next generation Squishdot (Swishdot), but the problem
on gnome.org website is not the lack of great visions it is the lack of
implementation of those visions. And while I must confess not being
aware of the timetable for Swishdot, my general feeling is that we
shouldn't postpone doing anything with Gnotices today because something
may become available in 6 months (random time period).

That said I have nothing against keeping Squishdot, but we have needs
that needs getting addressed in a short term timeframe.

As for details, well for moderation the need is simple. If the current
system in Squishdot actually worked and not posted any comments on the
page before they where approved by a moderator that would be fine.

As for sidebars, well this a bit more complex, but our needs are as
follows:
a) A sidebar with an event calendar. Currently this is done by parsing a
static webpage (an of-gnome.org website to make it worse). This should
be replaced by an system where people submit events much the same as
they currently submit newitems.

b) A sidebar for birthdays. People are not happy about having birthdays
displayed in the main news area, so moving birthday posts into a sidebar
might be nice.

c) The current software sidebar should be kept, but it needs to be
integrated with the new TROVE based software map.

We also need time controlled posting. We need to be able to approve a
story and set it to be published at a later time. (Important in order to
time press releases etc.)

As for flames I don't belive I have flamed either you or anyone about
the technical infrastructure choices of gnome.org.

To be honest I couldn't care less if we use Squishdot or some PHP based
system. What I care about is as a functional user of the website is that
the website provides me with the functionality to do my job and that
there are people around to solve technical problems as they arise.

So if I seemed very php focused on my original mail is because I got the
distinct feeling that there really wasn't anyone on the gnome-web-devel
list interested in Zope development, but a lot of people interested in
PHP development.

So if you think you can help us the needed functionality on Gnotices
using the current Squishdot setup Michael that is great, since it
solves the archiving problem also.

Christian