Re: Replacing Squishdot

On Mon, 2001-08-27 at 05:20, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2001 12:50:46 -0700, Michael R. Bernstein wrote:
> > On Sat, 2001-08-25 at 11:56, Christian Schaller wrote:
>
> >> As for flames I don't belive I have flamed either you or anyone about
> >> the technical infrastructure choices of gnome.org.
>
> > No, not you. In fact, all those people who posted 'I don't know Zope, so
> > let's just use PHP because it's better and more people know it' (and
> > probably whoever sent me anonymous flames in private), don't seem to be
> > on the list anymore.
>
> Let me just point out that this isn't really a flame, this is a valid
> stance.

I wasn't characterizing that stance as a flame, I was saying I *also*
got anonymous flames in private. I didn't save them, but they were
typically "Zope suckz. PHP 0wnz j00." stuff, along with various
scatological remarks.

> If you know one language/system and you don't know another, and
> this is the case for the vast majority of the people who will most
> likely be maintaining the system, then it's understandable that those
> people might want to go with something they know.
>
> Likewise, if PHP will be used for the rest of the new web site (which,
> last I checked, there was consensus for), then it seems fairly sane to
> me to try to stick to one language all over.

Well, I tried to have a discussion on the merits of the two technologies
at the time, so that it wasn't *just* a popularity contest, but it
became a popularity contest anyway [sigh]. Obviously, popularity is a
'feature', but it's not the only measure by which a solution should be
judged, or we'd all be using a certain operating system from the pacific
northwest ;-) . Also, Zope is much more than just a language, so this is
a bit like comparing apples to oranges.

Anyway, I think most of the PHP advocates have since lost interest
(present company excluded, of course), while I'm still here. On the
other hand, I'm probably the *only* Zope advocate still here (anyone
else?), so I'm probably still outnumbered ;-)

If you'd like me to fix/upgrade/enhance/extend the existing Squishdot
setup (eventually transitioning to CMF and Swishdot), I'm more than
happy to do so. If you would rather replace it, then I will try and help
figure out a way to export the articles (easy) and comment threads
(harder), so they can be imported into whatever new system you want.

Cheers,

Michael Bernstein.