Re: sftp module cant connect to new hosts

tis 2004-03-16 klockan 13.20 skrev Fernando Herrera:
> Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:58:56AM +0100, Mattias Eriksson escribió:
> >
> >Why then use sftp? It has alot overhead which gives it poor performance
> >compared to http and ftp?
> >If you don't care about security you should use ftp or http!
>
> 	Tranfering files over ssh or sftp is popular because it usually
> works out-of-the-box for most linux instalations. Setting a http+auth
> account to share personal files is not an easy operation for normal
> users.

Installing a ftp-server isn't very hard, and is a feature that is
available as a choise when you install most distros.
But from a usability point of view, plain lying to a user quite must  be
concidered devestating since the user then cant trust the apps to work
properly. If we call things sftp and then remove all the security how
can the user then trust that epiphany/galeon is safe enough to use for
banking?

The removal of security from a security protocol can only be done if the
user is presented with a LARGE popup stating that "This connection is
insecure and everything sent here including personal data may end up on
the Internet", combined with at red flashing light and the music from
the shower scene in Psyco!

Anyway, I guess you know my standpoint so I will stop repeating my
opinions over and over.

//Snaggen