Re: Forming GNOME-UK

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 14:04:47 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 11:51 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 10:04:37 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
>> >Bastien Nocera wrote:
><snip>
>> [de-lurking...]
>>
>> Looking only to include major contributors might suggest that GNOME is
>
>Nowhere is written major contributors. It's people who made
>"significant" contributions.

I'm not a native English speaker, which might explain some of the fuss
I've created, but "major" and "significant", when it comes to
contributions, mean pretty much the same to me.

After reading the section about becomming a member of the GNOME
Foundation it seems that I expect more from "significant" than they do
:-)

>> an elitist organisation and that you have to either give up your day job
>> or be lucky enough to work for a company that pays you to develop on
>> GNOME. Besides "beginners" I suspect it would also lock out translators
>> and artists.
>
>I wish I was paid to work on GNOME as well...
>It's a community, and you can't be a member before making a
>contribution, it works the other way around. I feel that people wanting
>to join in an association should have the same principles, and help out
>without having to join in a "club".

Of course, but "not wanting to join the club" is quite different from
"not being allowed to join the club". Putting the bar too high might
scare people off (c.f. becomming a Debian developer).

>> I'm not saying there shouldn't be criteria for entering, just that
>> they shouldn't require radical changes to my life.
>
>Just how does writing documentation for 2 hours a week require changes
>to your life? There are > 400 foundation members, only a small fraction
>of those are paid to work on GNOME.

Yes, but again, "significant" means "a whole fucking lot" to me :-)
Those 2 hours a week would have to be added up for a long time for it to
become "significant" to me.

>If you're not willing to spend a couple of hours helping out GNOME, I'm
>not really sure joining GNOME-UK would be a good idea.
>
>Not everyone has time all the time, and there are people who are still
>in the foundation based on past contributions.

Yes, and their membership is re-evaluated every two years. That's all
good! I like the way the GNOME Foundation is set up. I just don't think
that GNOME-UK should be as exclusive :-)

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick
to anger.
     -- J.R.R Tolkien