Re: Forming GNOME-UK

Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 16:21 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
Paul Cooper wrote:
[...]
* Thomas: Investigate setting up Gnome-UK as a club / registered charity / NFP so we can get a bank account and other infrastructure ready.
I'd be particularly interested if anyone can shed some light on how debian-uk set up their account, and how they operate in this regard.

From what I have gathered so far, we need either a document outlining our "Rules and Constitution" or instead, a "Memorandum and Articles of Association". At the very least we need a letter to confirm the organisation's aims and objectives, and to confirm that we are a non-profit making organisation. We will also have to have an appointed treasurer who will be able to deal with all the accounts. Appointing a treasurer obviously means we will have to have some sort of process, and inevitably some sort of eligibility to contribute to the process.

My contribution to this is not going to be that great, as I have no idea
about setting up an association.

For the eligibility, it should be easy: piggy-back on the GNOME
Foundation membership (hoping that everyone that needs to be in the
GNOME-UK association is in the GNOME Foundation, otherwise it'll get
messy).

Somehow I doubt that everyone who wants to be involved in GNOME-UK is a foundation member. I want this to be an inclusive group of GNOME users, not just the people who have made significant contributions to GNOME. I suspect the people with the most interest to get involved are those that haven't had a chance to contribute to GNOME or other Free Software projects before.

We currently have 77 subscribers to this list (much more than I had previously thought!). I want to encourage *everyone* to comment on what you expect from GNOME-UK, so that we can form some consensus on what our aims and objectives should be.

-Thomas