Re: Forming GNOME-UK

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 11:51 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 10:04:37 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> >Bastien Nocera wrote:
<snip>
> [de-lurking...]
>
> Looking only to include major contributors might suggest that GNOME is

Nowhere is written major contributors. It's people who made
"significant" contributions.

> an elitist organisation and that you have to either give up your day job
> or be lucky enough to work for a company that pays you to develop on
> GNOME. Besides "beginners" I suspect it would also lock out translators
> and artists.

I wish I was paid to work on GNOME as well...
It's a community, and you can't be a member before making a
contribution, it works the other way around. I feel that people wanting
to join in an association should have the same principles, and help out
without having to join in a "club".

> I'm not saying there shouldn't be criteria for entering, just that they
> shouldn't require radical changes to my life.

Just how does writing documentation for 2 hours a week require changes
to your life? There are > 400 foundation members, only a small fraction
of those are paid to work on GNOME.

If you're not willing to spend a couple of hours helping out GNOME, I'm
not really sure joining GNOME-UK would be a good idea.

Not everyone has time all the time, and there are people who are still
in the foundation based on past contributions.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
Almost every day, this pack of Gorillas would come and kick my ass.