Re: Forming GNOME-UK

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 13:16 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
<snip>
> Ah, then I drew the wrong conclusion from an earlier post, it made me
> believe only major contributors qualified for the GNOME foundation.
>
> So, should the question at hand be changed to:
>
>  Should GNOME-UK be open to users?

In my opinion... it depends :)

> The GNOME Foundation is not open for pure users (if I understand the
> text on http://foundation.gnome.org/membership/ correctly).

Users are allowed. The only criteria to get on the GNOME Foundation is
to have made a significant contribution to the GNOME project. Manning
stands at conferences, reporting bugs, helping out new users on forums,
helping organise GUADEC. All of that is contribution to the project.

If you mean that anyone using GNOME should be able to get in the
association/club, and become treasurer, president, whatever else
position of power there is, just for the fact that they use GNOME, I
disagree.

Joining GNOME-UK should be based on the merit of the contributions, not
on what you run on your desktop machine.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
"If a chairman sacks the manager he initially appointed, he should go as