Re: RE : [gnome-slackware]Compiling Gnome on Slackware

----- Original Message -----
From: "fflewddur" <fflewddur dropline net>
To: <gnome-slackware gnome org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: RE : [gnome-slackware]Compiling Gnome on Slackware

> > > if you look in the 'dist' subdirectory of mozilla, you'll that it
isn't
> > > exactly the same as what's under /opt/gnome.  it will run perfectly
> > > fine, but if you try to compile galeon, nautilus, or any other
> > > application that requires mozilla libraries, you'll have lots of
> > > trouble.  following the standard slackware convention makes everything
> > > "just work" :)
> >
> > Well, Galeon was one of the applications I compiled after Mozilla, use
it
> > ever since:)) Would you please tell where to expect the trouble, maybe I
> > just happened to be lucky this time?
>
> hrm, galeon wouldn't work for me with after following the mozilla.org
> instructions (this was back around 0.9.2, so things might have
> changed).  if it works, by all means, don't go out of your way to break
> it :)  i'm just relating my own experiences on what has and hasn't
> worked for me in the past.
>
> todd

My experience was with Mozilla 0.9.7, Galeon 1.0.2, kernel 2.4.17, Evolution
was 1.0.1.
I didn't install it into /opt/gnome, I did /usr/local/mozilla.

You see, one of the biggest problems of ALL free Unix-like systems (IMHO) is
outdated documentation:(((
Unfortunately my current crash-test-dummy:) namely P233/96MB is way too slow
to rebuild it again and document the process:(
Anyway, check the Karsten's site, his documentation is almost at the
bleeding edge.

 Boris