Re: RE : [gnome-slackware]Compiling Gnome on Slackware

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 18:16, Nicolas Laplante wrote:
> - Watch out for shared libraries like libxml/libxslt, I guess they
> should be
> installed somewhere else.

not true.  these both belong in /opt/gnome.

> - I couldn't (actually didn't:)) figure out the way Mozilla was
> originally
> built in Slackware, so I just put it into /usr/local/mozilla, don't know
> if
> it's wrong or not.

it shouldn't hurt, but make sure you've removed the original mozilla
package.  if you want to build it just like slackware does, get the rpm
spec file & co from the sources cd and use the build script to build the
rpms.  you can either install it via rpm or, like me, comment out the
line in the spec file which deletes the build directory
"/var/tmp/mozilla-root" and just type "cp -r /var/tmp/mozilla-root/opt
/" to overwrite your old mozilla with the new one.

> I want to point out that I did this not for the sake of upgrade, just
> wanted
> to take a look at Evolution which  always depends on the most current
> GNOME
> libraries.
>
> It would certainly be nice to see latest GNOME stuff in
> Slackware-Current.

agreed :)

Todd