[gnome-slackware]GDM from Slackware 8.0

I installed Gnome 1.4 when I installed Slack8 pristinely to a new HP
Pavillion notebook.

Everything seems fine with one exception, GDM doesn't work. By default, it
was being launched from init, but even when launched from a root
command-line, it just hangs. I've tried the configurator in Gnome, I've
tried to modify the config file directly. I've read the man pages.

What in the world could be causing a pristine install of Slack/Gnome to
have GDM hang?

--
Matthew Garrett
magarret cs indiana edu