Re: My gripes with Gnome Shell

    TL;DR:
    Running applications in the background is a valid use, and we'd like to improve on what we have. We
don't think legacy status icons are a good pattern and discourage their use.

Yeah, I think this is what I was remembering, not specifically legacy status icons which as you correctly
said has a number of flaws.  Strangely, I don't really miss the tray icons..  So, victory?

I agree that your target is good and that ideally we would not need the tray.

But I do miss a replacement, seriously, without TopIcons I would not be using Gnome.
I am not alone, just look at the popularity of topicons and topicons plus and read the comments.
So, no, not really a victory.