Re: My gripes with Gnome Shell

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:20 AM Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 1:19 PM 0x90 <0x90 phocean net> wrote:
Le 28/09/2016 à 08:03, Sriram Ramkrishna a écrit :

> Jean-Christophe Baptiste : to answer your question in regards to the tray design, last time I heard about it, the design is not complete.  I don't think anybody is quite happy with what we have right now.  Allan or Lapo can probably expand on that.  It is my assumption that we aren't done yet.

Sorry, but that isn't really correct - it's true that nobody is truly happy with what we have, but that doesn't mean that the design is incomplete or somehow in flux. There are two constraints - one of design and one technical - that severely limit the available options:

Thanks for the correction!  Yes, I was trying to recall a conversation about some time back, so glad that you were able to step in and provide some concrete background on the design pattern.

TL;DR:
Running applications in the background is a valid use, and we'd like to improve on what we have. We don't think legacy status icons are a good pattern and discourage their use.

Yeah, I think this is what I was remembering, not specifically legacy status icons which as you correctly said has a number of flaws.  Strangely, I don't really miss the tray icons..  So, victory?

sri

Cheers,
Florian