Re: My enthusiasm and appreciation with the Gnome Shell

I have been a Linux end-user since 2006. I guess I tried every design of shell that came along during those years.
At some point, I stuck to Gnome two.  Ever since Gnome 3 came out, at first I was very unhappy, and then with time I began to appreciate this new design.

As I see it, an end-user, the shell was designed to have a few core functions. The shell was designed for a multi-user system, where each user receives the core system and each user adds his own extensions to tailor Gnome to his liking.
I would like to suggest that with Gnome 3 (I currently use version 3.22), I am satisfied.

Some comments before I begin

I would like to list the extensions I use and why.
1. Appearance -- I use Adwaita (Gnome's Default)

2. Desktop -- I show home, Trash and Mounted Drives.  I have no network.

3) Extensions
a) Alternametab   --off     refer to Taskbar below
b) Application menu --off  refer to Taskbar below
c) Background logo  --on
d) Caffeine    --on  A tweak to prevent screen lockup, either on manual request, or when a long video is showing (youtube > 15 minutes).
e) Clipboard indicator   --I use this as a reminder of items I have clipped
f) Hybernate Status Button -- When I go to a meeting, I do want the system status saved, so when I return, I can continue from where I lift off.
g) Launch new Instance --on   (click on a terminal icon or a program and get a second or third copy running.
h) Notifications alert --on  I often start a five to 10 minute system update or download, and this option allows me to receive an alert when said activity completes.
i) Open Weather by Jens Lody -- I like to be able to view the weather up to two days hence.   I also can see the weather where friends reside.
j) Panel On-Screen-Display.   A convenient utility which allows me to move the display of alerts away from the default location.
k) Removable Drive Menu -- I have 5 disks with an average of 4 partitions per disk. When I have partitions mounted, I use this menu to easily click to dismount them. A partition can be dismounted with two clicks. This is not possible with Nautilus, and it also makes up for a missing feature in Nautilus.  Nautilus (Gnome 2) allowed one to place the mouse on the icon representing a partition, click the right mouse button and select unmount.  This feature is greatly missed.
l) Window list -- a display on the bottom panel of the currently opened applications. A  great feature.
j) Taskbar by zpydr.  This one extension really makes Gnome the winner for disktop users. It uses the top panel and allows one to assign buttons, favourites, representation of executing programs and more.  If this feature is dropped from Gnome, I would say that Gnome is not better than Mate. Effectively, it lists the favourites and execution programs, and allows me to launch a program with one click of the mouse.

My extensions were selected so that I would not get carpal tunnel problems.  While Gnome is very aesthetic,  it requires too many mouse clicks to getting things done.  I solved my Gnome personalisation needs with the above mentioned extensions.

Returning to Tweak Tool...
4) Fonts -- I have not changed any system defaults
5) Keyboard and Mouse.
    a) Show all inputs on,
    b) show mouse pointer with control key, and
    c) I use  middle-click paste.
    d) laptop setting -- default
6) Power  -- defaults
7) Startup Applications defaults (you may add your favourite, such as a web browser.
8) Top Bar
    a) I set the clock to show the date and the calendar week numbers.
9) Typing -- default
10) I restored Maximize and minimize

I am responding to some new-user criticism that was not aware of the customization extensions provide by Gnome Teaks and Gnome extensions.

Gnome is a very functional interface.

Regards

 Leslie
Mr. Leslie Satenstein