Re: Extensions review

hi Sam;

On 25 May 2014 22:29, Sam Bull <sam hacking sent com> wrote:
On dim, 2014-05-25 at 10:24 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
If we have a downward trend then that
would be awesome to know. :)

Well, for the record, it seems that my extension is working in 3.12 with
no changes, which is a first. I've not been able to get 3.12 running on
my system yet, but I started guiding a user through porting it, who is
using 3.12, and it turned out that just updating the version number was
enough.

it's not for 3.12, but: if you want to test the current development
version of GNOME, you can download an image built by our continuous
integration.

you can download them from:
http://build.gnome.org/continuous/buildmaster/images/current/

they should run out of the box with any version of gnome-boxes newer than 3.9.

really, everyone with an extension should try and download a VM once
we start releasing beta versions of GNOME, so that they can reliably
test their extension, and give feedback. sadly, waiting for
distributions to pick up the current stable release of GNOME will
always lead to users being left out, and to extensions breaking well
after we did a stable release.

it is what happens with web browser extensions: developers can run a
nightly release of Firefox, or the devel channel of Chrome;
admittedly, running a VM *is* a bit more complicated than downloading
a bleeding edge version of a web browser, but we're trying to make it
simpler, and feedback on how to improve that is always appreciated. at
the end of the day, we also want app developers to start using VMs to
test their applications.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--