Re: Design choice for suspend option only

(personal opinion) it is the right way forward because your computer should be in one of two states. In use or not in use. When it isn't in use it should be conserving power, whether laptop or desktop. Shutting it down and booting it back up are processes most users don't have the patience for. Suspending to RAM is a quick process that saves power. I personally think it should then suspend to disk (hibernate) after an hour or so.
In what cases does a user really need to have their computer shut down cold? restarting is useful for updates and the like occasionally, but why shut down unless absolutely needed? The reason I dislike it is that the battery on my netbook is so old and worn down that I believe many others would feel similar to myself in wanting to shut down because the suspend eats too much power even. If they made hibernate the default option, I'd even be ok with that. But, the end result is a better user experience. Slow boot times are never the way to a user's heart, and this is why I believe they do this.

Sincerely,
Josh

On Mar 2, 2012 4:04 PM, "Mark Blakeney" <mark blakeney bullet-systems net> wrote:
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:43:20 -0600, Josh Leverette wrote:
> I agree it's the right way forward, but users don't see it that way
> and there's no reason to force it.

Josh, why is it the "right way forward"? Can somebody please provide a
link to an intelligent argument why this design choice makes sense?