Design choice for suspend option only

Can somebody please post a reference to a discussion amongst the gnome3
developers about why they decided to only provide a suspend option on the
user menu (and hide the power off option with the alt modifier)? I would
really like to know by what rationale they came to this astonishing
decision?

I like and promote gnome-shell but frankly it is embarrassing to have to
apologise for this design choice to new users. It leaves an awkward first
impression.