Re: Suggestion: Remove the Window Title Bar

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
>> I think most of the underlying tech is here already: unity use a
>> protocol through which the applications describes its menu. Then it is
>> up to the shell to decide how to organize them.
>
> Except that Canonical is in a position where they can patch
> non-GNOME/GTK+ applications (Firefox, Libreoffice, Qt, Motif, ...),
> while GNOME is not.

I'm not saying GNOME should change Qt applications for this!
I'm just saying that previous work exist which may solve most
technical problems here. IMHO if gnome-shell is going for merging the
menu in the title bar or something along this line, it makes a lot of
sense to reuse this:
* less work for the gnome devs
* better compatibility between desktops

I'm not sure what is the exact status of the protocol, but if it can
be shared between several desktops, it is much better. Then an
application using it will have its menu properly merged on all of
them.
Then if an application does not support this or uses a toolkit which
do not support this, it will keep using an internal menu, it would be
bad but should not block the desktop itself from evolving.

if a Qt patch is required for this to work for KDE apps, then it is up
to the distributions to integrate it.

> (But than I'm not a big fan of global menus - in my opinion the top bar
> should be system space outside applications - with the exception of the
> app menu for _application_ actions (not window-specific actions like
> copy/edit or items like menu bars))

That's why I'm in favor of putting it in the title bar, not in the top bar ;)
Then what is done with the title bar of maximized applications may
have a larger impact...

Regards.

--
Aurélien Naldi