Re: New system monitor extension

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 03:02, John Stowers <john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 14:17 +0200, Florian Mounier wrote:
> Hi !
> I wrote a gnome shell extension displaying memory / swap / cpu usage
> in status bar.
> My code is far from perfect but I thought it might interest some of
> you.
> Code is available
> here: http://github.com/paradoxxxzero/gnome-shell-system-monitor-applet
> Any feedback is welcome.

Cool extension.

Have you considered reading /proc/meminfo instead of calling 'free -m'
and reading /proc/stat instead of calling 'cat /proc/stat'?

It might be more efficient to use Gio to read these files directly
instead of spawing commands.

John

Thanks for the tip, I will try the Gio way.
I am new to gnome development and I'm having a hard time finding documentation.
On a side note, is there a way to avoid gnome-shell crash when accessing an non existent gsettings schema ?

--
Florian Mounier