Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On 05/18/2011 02:54 PM, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
On Tue, 17 May 2011 09:40:09 -0500, you wrote:

Because your blog won't let me directly comment for some reason (maybe
it's an add-on), I'm responding here:

I'm very glad that you gave GNOME 3 a chance! It's a well-known fact
around here that comments like "there's no taskbar", or "you need to
click a lot", or "there's no minimize/maximize buttons", or even the
ever-popular "If I wanted to use a smartphone interface, I'd use a
smartphone" show that the writer of those comments has given
little-to-no effort whatsoever to enjoy GNOME 3.
A yes, the semi-official standard Gnome 3 response that if you don't
like Gnome 3 its because you haven't given it a chance.  Rather
arrogant really.
You're leaving out a *gigantic* part of what I said: there are many valid complaints. For example, there's a bug report I read where some settings dialogs were constructed in a way that, when used with the default GNOME 3 theme (which has a lot of padding), they are completely unusable on smaller screens because they extend beyond the limits of the screen. Another valid complaint is lack of proper VPN support (if I remember correctly). These are all valid complaints. Complaining about the lack of a feature that isn't even necessary (minimization) or complaining about having to move the mouse to the left instead up upwards (as in "why are there no icons on the panel"; it's just as fast to tap the windows key and click an app on the dash), though, are invalid complaints that have been discussed to death and back again after many, many discussions. Not every complaint is valid; sometimes "bugs", "regressions", or "feature requests" are not valid at all, or could at least be looked at a different way.

Say, for example, you developed an IDE. You just added a feature to the latest stable release of it to automatically insert closing parentheses, quotes and brackets when it would be convenient to do so. For some users, this is great, but for others, it interferes with their habits. The latter group asks for this new feature to be a preference. You could do that, but that preference would make the IDE harder to debug in the long run and make it more complex than necessary to use. An alternative that would please both groups of users would be to cancel out the closing parentheses/quotes/brackets when a user manually types them in. GNOME 3, instead of simply caving in and adding preferences left and right, tries to think outside of the box like this. I'm not saying it's perfect, but you can see how it's better.
Also, the critics saying that GNOME Shell is "one size fits all" must
have never looked at the extensions or third-party programs yet. There
are already places menus, drive menus, alternative status menus, docks,
launchers on the panel, an applications menu, removing the accessibility
icon, launching applications on specific workspaces... the
possibilities, like with Firefox's Add-on system, are nearly infinite.
How very damning, Gnome 3 hasn't even been released to the masses (no
major distro has released with it yet) and already we have multiple
attempts to fix the UI.  Guess that kind of throws out the Gnome
philosophy of taking the time to do it right instead of quick, messy
hacks.
Arch Linux does, what I'm currently using, and it works great. I'm not sure if you could consider it a "major distro", but I think it's reasonably popular to be considered major. The extensions aren't "attempts to fix the UI", but rather "exercises in extending the interface". There are legit reasons to want launchers on the panel, for example (launching several applications in sequence), or implementing a devices/places menu (something that the Shell team didn't have a chance to work on, as they were busy with making Shell stable). GNOME does try to do things right; they don't advocate "quick, messy hacks" at all. In fact, extensions and theming the Shell aren't officially supported at all; they're bound to break with each major release as they haven't settled on a standard, reasonably frozen structure yet.