Re: We want task bar back. Pretty please.

On Tue, 17 May 2011 09:40:09 -0500, you wrote:

>On 05/17/2011 08:18 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> A bit late, but I finally got around to it -
>> <http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com/2011/05/fortnight-with-gnome3.html>
>>
>> My feedback after using GNOME3 full time for 14 days.

>Because your blog won't let me directly comment for some reason (maybe
>it's an add-on), I'm responding here:
>
>I'm very glad that you gave GNOME 3 a chance! It's a well-known fact
>around here that comments like "there's no taskbar", or "you need to
>click a lot", or "there's no minimize/maximize buttons", or even the
>ever-popular "If I wanted to use a smartphone interface, I'd use a
>smartphone" show that the writer of those comments has given
>little-to-no effort whatsoever to enjoy GNOME 3.

A yes, the semi-official standard Gnome 3 response that if you don't
like Gnome 3 its because you haven't given it a chance.  Rather
arrogant really.

>Also, the critics saying that GNOME Shell is "one size fits all" must
>have never looked at the extensions or third-party programs yet. There
>are already places menus, drive menus, alternative status menus, docks,
>launchers on the panel, an applications menu, removing the accessibility
>icon, launching applications on specific workspaces... the
>possibilities, like with Firefox's Add-on system, are nearly infinite.

How very damning, Gnome 3 hasn't even been released to the masses (no
major distro has released with it yet) and already we have multiple
attempts to fix the UI.  Guess that kind of throws out the Gnome
philosophy of taking the time to do it right instead of quick, messy
hacks.