Re: The path of least blame

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 12:21 +0200, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > +1 This 'singleton' distinction is bogus
> > Gedit supports tabs, why was it proposed as a multi-window app?
> I'd say the distinction is between applications which may or may not use
> several windows (depending on the user's preference), and applications
> which should NEVER have multiple windows (for example, there is
> absolutely no reason to have two rhythmbox windows, two synaptic
> windows, or two transmission windows). The case of evolution is a bit
> special because it's an application holding multiple distinct
> applications (a mailer, a calendar, a contact list), and each of those
> sub-apps are mono-window applications. Maybe it's just the sign that
> Evolution should really be split into independant modules...

Evolution is and always-has-been modules hosted in a common shell; it is
not monolithic. But you can't *deeply* separate mail, calendar, tasks,
and memos without having to do a whole lot of extra plumbing [calendar
view shows tasks and memos, mail messages can be turned into tasks, mail
messages may be event invitations, contacts have birthdays to show on
the calendar, contacts need to be used as a source for email
composition, etc...]