Re: The path of least blame

Not all apps are the same. Some are basically singletons (firefox, evolution, rhythmbox, etc), while others clearly are not and should default to multiple instances. The best examples I can think of have already been mentioned: terminals and file managers.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Milan Bouchet-Valat <nalimilan club fr> wrote:
Le jeudi 04 août 2011 à 22:50 +0200, Florian Müllner a écrit :
> Slightly off-topic, but I consider it quite interesting that almost
> everyone complaining about shell's single-window approach picks the
> terminal as example. We would probably get rid of all complains by
> special-casing terminals, without the inconsistency being noticed -
> "normal" people don't use terminals, geeks apparently don't use
> anything else ...
I think that terminals are only the best example of this situation.
While most apps best behave as single-instance, a few of them are
multiple-instance, and we still expect a click to open a new window:
terminal, file manager (to open several folders separately), word
processor. Maybe special-casing them wouldn't be too disturbing, indeed.

gnome-shell-list mailing list
gnome-shell-list gnome org