Re: Is distractionless shell too distractionless? [Notification from telepathy & evolution]

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 11:53 -0400, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 22:28 +0200, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
>
> > > This sounds like an interesting idea, but does it really scale well if
> > > you receive a few notifications in a short time?
> >
> > Depends on what you are doing right now. In short - I would like to put
> > the incoming message into right 'tray' - needs immediate attention, to
> > be dealt during next coffee break, to be dealt at home, to be dealt
> > during weekend, to be dealt when I finish current task.
>
> I don't think this kind of granular control belongs to a notification
> system. I mean, you get notified about something that changed state
> somewhere else ("you received a new mail", "Bob sent you an IM", "your
> download has been completed", ...); a long-term representation of such
> state can be usually be retrieved from inside the application itself
> (unread mail count in the mail client, unread IM messages in the chat
> app, ...) and it's up to you when to deal with that.

Hmm. Probably you're right. However I still would like to put task on
later. Possibly some TODO app integrating with gnome-shell?

> > > You can remove the notification right clicking on it.
> >
> > Hmm. Doesn't work for me. It opens empathy/skype context menu.
>
> That's because both Empathy and Skype use a status icon instead of a
> notification (Skype even has its own notification system built-in).

While I understand why it was done it does not help to quickly look if
there have been new events...

> Regards,
> Cosimo

Regards