Re: Is distractionless shell too distractionless? [Notification from telepathy & evolution]

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 22:28 +0200, Maciej Piechotka wrote:

> > This sounds like an interesting idea, but does it really scale well if
> > you receive a few notifications in a short time?
>
> Depends on what you are doing right now. In short - I would like to put
> the incoming message into right 'tray' - needs immediate attention, to
> be dealt during next coffee break, to be dealt at home, to be dealt
> during weekend, to be dealt when I finish current task.

I don't think this kind of granular control belongs to a notification
system. I mean, you get notified about something that changed state
somewhere else ("you received a new mail", "Bob sent you an IM", "your
download has been completed", ...); a long-term representation of such
state can be usually be retrieved from inside the application itself
(unread mail count in the mail client, unread IM messages in the chat
app, ...) and it's up to you when to deal with that.

>  - I may forget to turn it on back. Borrowing analogy from (in)famous
> suspend discussion - if my phone turns sounds off when I am at certain
> place why should I dealt with available/busy

Right; that's why I suggested a location-based approach as a possible
improvement for integration. Another possible way to look at this could
be to allow setting yourself as busy during specific calendar events.

> > You can remove the notification right clicking on it.
>
> Hmm. Doesn't work for me. It opens empathy/skype context menu.

That's because both Empathy and Skype use a status icon instead of a
notification (Skype even has its own notification system built-in).

Regards,
Cosimo