Re: Is distractionless shell too distractionless? [Notification from telepathy & evolution]

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 16:09 -0400, Cosimo Cecchi wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 14:59 +0200, Maciej Marcin Piechotka wrote:
> > I understand that it is challenge to find right balance but could
> > message be more verbose. For example:
> >
> >  - After unlocking screen the 'lost' notifications appears
>
> Hmm, it seems the shell already tries to be clever here and pops up the
> bottom bar (with the possibly missed notifications) for ~5 seconds when
> unlocking the screen.  Maybe it's not enough?

With current gnome-shell I haven't seen any. I'll watch next time more
carefully.

Additionally - the tray is never empty (see the end for discussion - it
may be a bug).

> >  - Allow to mark message as 'remind me later' (remind me in 5 minutes/at
> > home[2] etc.) - message will appear when I'm not busy[1]/I have free
> > time etc.
>
> This sounds like an interesting idea, but does it really scale well if
> you receive a few notifications in a short time?

Depends on what you are doing right now. In short - I would like to put
the incoming message into right 'tray' - needs immediate attention, to
be dealt during next coffee break, to be dealt at home, to be dealt
during weekend, to be dealt when I finish current task.

Sure - you don't want to list all those options.

> Setting the status as Busy from the user menu works better in this case
> IMO (and notifications are replayed when you set yourself as available
> again).

As I said the problem is that you need to set it manually. I don't
remember to set it and in some cases I don't want to set it:

 - I may still decide that notification is important enough to be dealt
immediately. I'm not sure how widespread it is and weather there have
been any studies but to be honest I have "fear" of lost
mails/notifications.
 - I may forget to turn it on back. Borrowing analogy from (in)famous
suspend discussion - if my phone turns sounds off when I am at certain
place why should I dealt with available/busy

> >  - Allow to just close the notification instead of relying on
> > in-notification buttons
>
> You can remove the notification right clicking on it.

Hmm. Doesn't work for me. It opens empathy/skype context menu.

Regards