Re: Gnome objectives

I've tried using KDE for our company, and I end up having to chmod -x all of the executables because KDE has a lot of holes even with locked down with the kiosk tool and other changes by hand.  I'm also not a huge fan of all of the KDE applications.  I do like a couple of them though.

I started with gnome-panel, and it was actually more buggy than gnome-shell on the systems I designed for our callcenter.   Once I explained the concepts of workspaces to people and demonstrated the very simple shortcuts, they preferred using gnome-shell.   The only people who I see having a problem using something without a taskbar at our company are the two older employees we have over 55.

I did give them an auto hidden cairo-dock as a launcher because no one really likes the activity drop down.  I am trying my best to migrate our call center off of Windows.  Windows performance degrades naturally over time, and just doesn't really run very good.

The computers I have running gnome-shell are dual core atom powered with 2gb of memory.  They're  snappy but there is hesitation on the alt-tabbing.  People keep their environments separated in workspaces and use ctrl+alt left and right to swap between environments.  One for communication, one for our custom application, one for open office, and another for web browsing.

I am definitely in favor of a task bar.  If someone makes an addon, I'll use it and get rid of the dock.  The only other thing I could think that would make things better is binding the mouse sideways push to move left and right workspaces.

Justin Edwards
TeleLanguage Inc.
Network Administrator