Re: Gnome objectives

I've tried using KDE for our company, and I end up having to chmod -x all of the executables because KDE has a lot of holes even with locked down with the kiosk tool and other changes by hand.  I'm also not a huge fan of all of the KDE applications.  I do like a couple of them though. 

I started with gnome-panel, and it was actually more buggy than gnome-shell on the systems I designed for our callcenter.   Once I explained the concepts of workspaces to people and demonstrated the very simple shortcuts, they preferred using gnome-shell.   The only people who I see having a problem using something without a taskbar at our company are the two older employees we have over 55.  

I did give them an auto hidden cairo-dock as a launcher because no one really likes the activity drop down.  I am trying my best to migrate our call center off of Windows.  Windows performance degrades naturally over time, and just doesn't really run very good.  

The computers I have running gnome-shell are dual core atom powered with 2gb of memory.  They're  snappy but there is hesitation on the alt-tabbing.  People keep their environments separated in workspaces and use ctrl+alt left and right to swap between environments.  One for communication, one for our custom application, one for open office, and another for web browsing.  

I am definitely in favor of a task bar.  If someone makes an addon, I'll use it and get rid of the dock.  The only other thing I could think that would make things better is binding the mouse sideways push to move left and right workspaces.  

Justin Edwards
TeleLanguage Inc.
Network Administrator

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM, dE . <de techno gmail com> wrote:
That is true, but people don't see gnome that way.

Truly ergonomic doesn't mean truly productive gnome till date was 100%
ergonomic and very productive, in the mean time KDE decided to trade
off on ergonomics and increased the productivity to 100%.

There's already a DE giving 100% productivity (KDE), we always needed
a De which gave 100% ergonomics and that was (till date) Gnome, but
now the team is missing the point... there's no use of shell, KDE is
there for such things. The gnome team should focus on ergonomics only.

BTW core utilities are used by professionals, they (indirectly) get
paid to use and learn them... that's not true for Gnome right?.. Gnome
is used by users who's primary job is not computing.

If you want to use something like shell but very well  implemented,
try KDE's 'activity' feature. It's perfectly implemented (although
there're too many bugs) and have a perfect reason to implement it
unlike Gnome-shell. And best of all, no one has problems with it. In
fact the whole KDE DE is a lot better than gnome shell and is actually
productive, not just an eye candy.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Justin Edwards <justin telelanguage net> wrote:
> Lots of good things have to be learned.  Do you use bash and GNU tools?
> That's like saying the mouse thing will never catch on.
> Justin Edwards
> TeleLanguage Inc,
> Network Administrator
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Felipe Erias Morandeira
> <femorandeira igalia com> wrote:
>> On 22/11/10 14:39, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> > On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 10:13 +0100, Andreas Wallberg wrote:
>> >> If the users do not seem to "get" a particular design choice, please
>> >> take a few moments to explain them.
>> >
>> > As a user I feel that GNOME 3 has been well explained many, many,
>> > many... times.  Perhaps those who don't understand could spend a few
>> > seconds going out to find and *read* the explanation.  Or there are even
>> > audio / video talks from GUADEC about it; and at least one audio
>> > interview from GUADEC.  So you can *read*, *hear*, and *see* the
>> > explanations of GNOME 3.  Anyone who claims it isn't being explained is
>> > a *troll*, full-stop.
>> That is a completely backwards point of view. A good design would need
>> almost no explanation. If many people do not "get" the Shell, then the
>> design is wrong; maybe because the system was not designed with its
>> prospective users in mind.
>> Felipe
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnome-shell-list mailing list
>> gnome-shell-list gnome org
> _______________________________________________
> gnome-shell-list mailing list
> gnome-shell-list gnome org

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]